Summary: FAQs 1 on the topic of Vastu – a building and planning system to create peace and harmony in the home, the local environment and the community through the correct orientation, proportion and utilization of buildings. Vastu is also known as Vedic Architecture, Yogic Design, Vastu Vidya, Vastu Shastra, Vaastu and Sthapatya Veda.
Q. Is there a link between Yoga and Vastu?
A. Yes, both Yoga and Vastu (aka Sthapatya Veda, Yogic Design) come from the same Vedic tradition which is many thousands of years old. So Vastu is one of Yoga’s sister subjects. Since the 1970’s, yoga has become fairly mainstream in the West and its benefits well accepted. Since the 1990’s the Vedic healthcare system Ayurveda has entered the public’s awareness in the developed world and many are now experiencing trhe benefits of an ayurvedic lifestyle. Whilst the Chinese Feng Shui is better known at the moment than Vastu, the past decade has seen an increase in interest in Vedic Architecture with a number of homes being built on all continents according to this powerful traditional system. Anecdotal reports from their occupants are very positive.
Q. What are the main aims of Vastu?
A. Vastu aims to create harmony between a building, its inhabitants and the environment. Vastu buildings increase the ‘feel-good factor’ of those living and working in them. As a result of good Vastu design, people tend to lead healthier and happier lives with less stress. Good Vastu in the workplace is said to lower stress, improve creativity and increase productivity.
We have all heard of ‘sick-building syndrome’ – Vastu produces exactly the opposite, the ultimate in ‘well-building syndrome’
Q. What benefits can we expect from living in a house with a good Vastu?
A. The benefits, attributed by the ancient texts to the occupants of a home with a very good Vastu, are as follows:
- An increased sense of wellbeing
- Improved health
- Greater harmony in ourselves, our family and our relationships
- A deeper feeling of self-awareness, inner peace and tranquility
- Increased creativity
- Increased wealth and financial stability
- Better spiritual progress
Q. Isn’t Vastu just the same as Feng Shui?
A. No. Although both Vastu and Feng Shui aim to create harmony in the built environment, they are completely different systems from different traditions. Vastu predates Feng Shui, which was almost certainly derived from it as Vastu knowledge spread from India to China
Q. What are the key factors that a Vastu design takes into account?
A. This is an extensive subject, but in brief, a design based on Vastu principles examines :
- ‘Positive’ and ‘negative’ influences from the surrounding environment
- The geometry of the building plot itself and the lie of the land
- The orientation, dimensions and proportions of the building
- The entrances and their direction
- The construction of a quiet central area called the ‘Brahmasthan’
- The allocation and utilization of rooms according to directions
Some Vedic experts also customise a home’s dimensions according to the Vedic astrological birth charts of the owners.
Q. Can I adapt my existing house to be a more life supporting, positive space with better Vastu, or do I need a custom designed and built property to get a good Vastu?
A. We can certainly adapt many existing buildings to improve their Vastu, although this will not be as effective as a purpose designed house in a development and city specifically laid out according to Vedic architectural principles.
However, sometimes simple changes can make a big difference to how our home ‘feels’. For example, simply changing the orientation of our bed through 90 degrees from a head facing north orientation to a head facing south or east orientation is said to improve our sleep patterns and overall health. Similarly, either blocking up, or simply not using a south facing entrance and instead using an east facing door in our house, is said to create a much better Vastu with positive impacts on health and prosperity.
Additional Information on Vastu
- Other Frequently Asked Questions on Vastu FAQs – 2, FAQs – 3
- Article giving an Introduction to Vastu
- Benefits of Good Vastu in the Home
- Top Tips for Better Homes
- Vastu: Housing Locations to Avoid
- Removing Negativity from Our Homes
- Maharishi Vastu website provides more FAQs on Vedic Architecture
- Links between Vastu and Feng Shui
- Key factors involved in Vastu Design